The  Military  Academy

       Torino's  Military  Academy  originates  from  the  Royal  Schools  of  Artillery  and  Fortifications  founded  by  the  King  Carlo  Emanuele  II  in  1739 , the  cradle  of  the  originally  Piedmontese  and  later  Italian  oldest  and  most  glorious  military  traditions .
 CU. arsenale.jpg (27921 byte)      It  was  Europe's  first  Academy  of  this  type  and  its  influence  on  Italy's  history  was  enormous . The  imposing  military  complex  built  in  1736  is  the  core  of  the  structures  making  up  the  new  Arsenal  of  Torino . The  building  contains  great  prestigious  reception  halls , reading  and  recreational  areas . The  School  is  the  venue  for  many  cultural  events  and  the  ample  courtyard  hosts  concerts  and  various  events  which  continue  to  maintain  and  reinforce  pleasant  ties  between  the  Institute  and  the  people  of  Torino .
       Today  the  Military  Academy  continues  to  train  officers  of  the  various  Italian  and  Foreigners  Armed  Forces .           

       The  Piemonte  and  Torino  have  closer  ties  with  Italy  Military  History . Not  just  the  Military  Academy  was  created  in  the  small  Savoia  State  but  many  military  corps  and  specialities  of  the  most  prestigious  components  of  our  country's  army  originated  in  Piemonte  as  well , notably :
     - the  Carabinieri , a  corps  created  in  1814  by  King  Vittorio  Emanuele I . The  name  comes  from  the  original  accoutrement  of  carabine  and  sword .
     - the  Bersaglieri , a  corps  created  in  1836  by  General  Alessandro  Lamarmora . The  name  of  this  celebrated  special  infantry  corps  come  from  the  special  ability  its  soldiers  were  required  to  have  in  hitting  targets  (bersagli  in  Italian) .
     - the  Alpini , a  special  corps  created  in  1872 . It  consists  of  troops  trained  to  operate  on  the  Alps  and  therefore  assigned  to  defend  our  country's  mountain  frontiers .
     - the  Granatieri , a  corps  created  in  1659  by  Duke  Carlo  Emanuele  II .  It  is  the  oldest  infantry  corps  of  the  Italian  Army . The  tall  height  required  to  belong  to  this  corps , together  with  their  long  arms , meant  these  soldiers  could  throw  the  heavy  grenades  of  those  days  over  a  very  long  distance . 

The  fortified  Citadel  of  Torino  and  the  Pietro  Micca's  act  of  heroism 

   Building  of  the  Citadel  of  Torino  started  on  1564. It  was  considered  one  of  Europe's  most  modern  and  best  defended  strongholds .   

   The  main  entry  consisted  on  an  imposing  donjon  (the  only  part  of  the  original  building  that  has  remained  to  our  days) where  the  National  Museum  of  Artillery  is  now .
   Torino's  fortress  could  exploit  two  defensive  tactics . One  with  the  barrage  of  its  4,000 feet  range  artillery  guns  and  musketry , another  cunning  and  sudden  one  with  remarkable  and  disconcerting  practical  and  psychological  effects , a  mine  war  with  a  network  of  some  9 miles  of  mine  and  countermine  galleries  fought  by  heroic  mole-men .
    During  the  Summer  of  1706 ,  33  years  old  Duke  De  La  Feuillade  started  besieging  the  Torino  Citadel . The  French  succeeded  in  infiltrating  some  of  our  underground  drifts  in  early  August .

   Around  midnight  of  August  26  1706 , two  sappers  were  on  guard  on  the  connection  stairway  of  the  upper  gallery, a  few  metres  from  the  gate  at  the  end  of  the  main  moat .

   One  of the  two  soldiers  was  called  Pietro  Micca....he  heard  axes  and  maces  being  violently  wielded  against  the  ironclad  door.... the  situation   must  have  suddenly  seemed  very  critical  indeed  to  him....his  companion  was  kneeling  over  the  fuse  but  couldn't  set  it  alight . Minutes  went  by  and  the  French  redoubled  their  attacks  on  the  door....it  was  the  end  if  it  fell !!

     Pietro  Micca  understood  the  need  for  a  risky  act , he  told  his  companion  to  get  away  by  yelling  him  in  a  few  words  to  save  his  life , then  unhesitatingly  lit  up  the  fuse  and  tried  to  escape....a  few  seconds  later , the  door  suddenly  collapsed  and  mine  exploded  nearly  at  the  same  time  burying  Frenchs  who  had  penetrated  the  gallery . A  body  found  a  forty  paces  from  the  ladder  of  the  lower  gallery  was  what  remained  of  this  heroic  Piedmontese  soldier !!
    Eight  days  after  the  episode  of  Pietro  Micca  on  September  7  1706  the  Austrian - Savoia  Army  led  by  Prince  Eugenio  of  Savoia  defeated  the  French - Spanish  Army , broke  the  4- months  siege  and  liberated  Torino ! 

 The  Regio  Theatre  of  Torino

   The  King  Carlo  Emanuele  II  of  Savoia  started  construction  works  in  1738 . Designed  by  Filippo  Juvarra , the  theatre  was  actually  built  by  Benedetto  Alfieri  (see  Asti  page) . Works  started  in  1738  and  went  on  so  fast  that  the  theatre  was  already  officially  opened  on  December  26  1749 .
    Born  forty  years  before  the  Scala  , the  Teatro  Regio  boasts  several  hundreds  of  premières , including  Giacomo  Puccini's  "Manon  Lescaut"  and  "La  Bohème" , and  Richard  Strauss'  "Salomé" .
    The  night  between  February  8  and  9  1936 , registered  a  dramatic  event  in  the  Torino's  cultural  and   musical  life , a  raging  fire  destroyed  CU. T.Regio 2.jpg (51141 byte)the  Teatro  Regio's  hall  and  the  stage . The  World  War  II  bombings  of  1942  and  1945  completed  the  ruine  of  the  building .
CU. T. Regio 1.jpg (35681 byte)     After  various  vicissitudes  the  recontruction  project  was  decided  only  in  1966 . It  was  re-opened  officially  on  the  evening  of  April  10  1973  with  Giuseppe  Verdi's  opera  "I  Vespri  Siciliani" .
     The  new  theatre  complex  (on  the  right  you  can  see  the  hall)  has  been  designed  and  built  with  the  most  up  to  date  technologies . It  was  rebuilt  on  the  same  Piazza  Castello  premises  as  the  old  one , although  some  slight  changes  and  it's  harmoniously  part  and  parcel  of  the  architectural  context  of  the  old  square  (on  the  left).
     At  over  a  quarter  of  a  millenium  from  its  foundation , the  Teatro  Regio  continues  being  a  witness  of  the  history  and  the  events  of  Torino .

 The  Marenco  Theatre  of  Ceva

   If  the  Regio  Theatre  of  Torino  is  one  of  the  most  important  theatres  in  Italy , the  Marenco  Theatre  of  Ceva (Cuneo) is  absolutely  the  smallest !
   It  was  built  in  1861  and  restored  in  1975. It  can  contain  no  more  than  250  people , but  it' s  scheduled  by  the  most  important  theatrical  companies .

CU. Teatro Marenco.jpg (186429 byte)

  The  Car  Museum  and  the  Body  Builders

   
   The  Torino's  car  industries (FIAT  and  Lancia) are  very  important  and  very  known  all  over  the  world . They  contributed  to  the  birth  of  several  industries  connected  with  the  car . Among  them  are  standing  out  many  famous  Body  Builders (Ghia , Pininfarina , Bertone  and  Giugiaro).  
   Giugiaro  is  also  a  famous  Designer  and  you  can   visit  his  beautiful  site
   Torino  has  also  a  very  interesting  Car  Museum ; you  can  see  on  the  left  an  old  FIAT .                                

Curiosities